Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ensure your Diet is Helpful not Harmful to your Health

About two years ago I found out from my doctor that I had pre-cancerous cells in my body. Terrified that they would turn cancerous, I changed my eating habits drastically. After about six months of my lifestyle change, I was informed that all my cells were back to normal! Since then, I've become obsessed with nutrition. It is incredible how much nutrition impacts your sense of well being and your body's ability to heal itself. I find it all incredibly interesting.

As a rule of thumb, I try to consume food that comes from the earth. I take my time when I grocery shop to really look at the labels of what I am putting in my body. I do not look at the calories of the foods, as that is not important to me. What I look for is natural ingredients. 80% of the items I purchase at the store are fruits and vegetables. I also purchase some lean meats, whole grains, and soy, cow, or almond milks. When I can, I purchase organic, and non-GMO.

If you are looking to change your eating habits, take it one day at a time. You are likely to go back to your old eating habits if you make a drastic, overnight change. In order to be successful, I recommend slowly replacing the foods that you currently eat with more nutritious options. For example, if you regularly drink sodas or sugary drinks, start replacing every other one with water or all natural unsweetened or lightly sweetened tea instead. If you crave desserts or sweets, start replacing them with a cup of lightly sweetened granola and vanilla soy milk, frozen fruit, or a Herbalife protein shake.

Many of the foods that are sold in the store contain chemicals and additives that do more harm than good. By watching what you put into your body, you can ensure that your diet is helpful and not harmful to your health. As a result, you will look and feel better!


By Monica Shuster | Guest Blogger (first posted on July 3, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment